Newborn preparation is the key to a successful session...
You carried your baby for the past nine months, went through the pain of childbirth (totally worth it, right?!), brought this sweet bundle of joy home from the hospital, had a few sleepless nights, and now it’s time for your baby’s newborn session. Aren’t you excited to share with your family and friends the great news?
1. BOOKING TIME
I highly recommend to book your newborn session as early as possible. Younger newborn do much better during photo session, they will sleep more soundly, allowing me to pose them to create the very best portraits. Babies are also more flexible at this stage. Older than 2 weeks, most babies tend to be more alert and a bit restless, and much more difficult to capture the images . You can contact me via email, text message, Facebook or simply give me a call the first 48 hours after your baby arrived, this way, if I have to re-arrange my schedule, I have enough time...
Session will take place at my in-home based studio in Indianapolis, IN, where I have all the props available. The studio kept at 80F for the baby’s comfort, especially if we do nude poses.
3. BEFORE SESSION
The key to successful session is a deep sleeping baby! Remember, the session might last up to 4 hours (make sure you had a good breakfast :P)
* Schedule feeding 1-2 hours before arrival
* Interact with your baby for at least 1-2 hours before your scheduled session to keep him/her awake. This means keeping them awake during the car ride ;) I know, I know, it is very hard, but try your best!
* Dress your baby in comfortable clothes with button up or zip up clothing for easier transition. Please DO NOT dress the baby in anything that I will have to pull over the head.
* Pacifier...Please bring it with you, it helps to calm your baby down during transition poses... If you don't have one, I will be more than happy to provide one to your baby during session...
* Bottle...Even if you are a breastfeeding mom, please, try to pump a little bit of milk: while baby is posed, it's so much easier to give him a bottle instead of me trying to repose him/her after feeding.
* Dressing tips for parents: Beige/ cream/ white all would look amazing for your baby’s newborn pictures no matter what gender your baby is! Gray, blush, or brown are also great options. Pastels like soft blue or blush pink are beautiful as well. Same applies to significant others and siblings.
4. YOU ARRIVED
Once you arrived, I will give you time and privacy to feed your baby and change clothes if needed.
5. LETS START THE PARTY
No worries, I will guide you thru every single step and pose! I always start my sessions with a wrapped baby, it allows an easy way for mom , dad and siblings to be involved, plus those are my “safety” shots; even if baby is fully awake, I still can produce beautiful images of wide open eyes!
“My baby doesn’t like to be wrapped?!” Believe me, they do! They are used to be in your belly for the past 9 month; they actually feel much more secure being wrapped...Trust me!
Usually, I start with mom, will add dad, and siblings if there are any (since they are the one who lose patience fast) and will then move to the baby itself.
I try to do at least three different set ups, but it all depends on baby. And, PLEASE, DO NOT worry about your baby having accidents on my props! So many parents worry about that – but I am used to it, and prepared for any type of accident! All my props are washable and been washed after every use with perfume free detergent....
While I photograph the baby, I want parents to be relaxed; take a nap; I know what sleepless nights are like, so if you do need to take a time off, just let me know and I will supervise you to a quiet room where you can get yourself under warm blanket in front of TV, and take a small nap...
6. After the Session
Within few days, I will provide you with the password to an online gallery to view your images. We will talk about what products, prints, or albums you may want for your home, and I can help you with any ordering. Your digital images will be sent within 2-3 weeks of your session with a print release. Although, my current packages include the digital images, I strongly recommend you to order prints through your gallery and have them printed with a professional lab my PC is calibrated to. I DO NOT recommend Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Sams, Costco, or Shutterﬂy! Your print release will cover you to have the images printed for personal purposes: social media shares, email to family and friends, but it does not allow you to reproduce them for sale of any kind.
Thank you for choosing Tatiana Kahl Photography!
Ready to BOOK your session?! Or have questions?!